Monday, November 26, 2012

Mutually Encouraged

I'm an optimist by nature.  An idealist and encourager.  This doesn't just mean that I see the glass as half full (most days) but that I see it as completely overflowing as God pours abundance never-ending into it!  I believe that He's given me a desire to help others see that same fullness and abundance in Christ in their lives as well.  Not blowing smoke or building ego, but discovering the reality of tangible freedom and life we have in Christ.  But as any encourager can tell you...there are times when we lose our exuberance or run out of steam.  Times where weariness replaces excitement and our thoughts are shadowy instead of seeing and savoring God's marvelous Light.  It's a rough place to be, but often an indicator of need for more regular and consistent 'filling' of those same freedoms and realities in my own life.

I'm getting a bit out of step here, skipping to verse 12 in Ch1 of Romans.  There's still a lot to be had from the first 10 verses, but this one keeps coming back to me:

Romans 1:11-12
1For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you—12that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine. 

Paul is longing to be with and see the believers in Rome not only to continue to build and strengthen their faith but to encourage his own! What a sweet joy, and never more full than when the gospel of sweet grace is shared!

We often think that the gospel is only a starting point. That we must move on from it in order to grow and mature as believers in Christ. And while Paul speaks often of graduating from spiritual milk to solids, from babies to maturity...it is not without the gospel that this growth can be seen. Indeed, it is its continual revelation, and constant delight of, that mutually encourages followers of Jesus to continue on in our journeys, struggles and triumphs.


My heart is never more full than when I can see and share how the undeserved Love of God is pouring out through the person of Jesus. To be able to watch Him moving, working and transforming lives...redeeming and rescuing His beloved children..there is nothing that makes my joy more complete...my own faith more encouraged!


Are you walking with Him today? Are you returning to the story that started it all? Go there often, and share who He is and what His undescribable grace is doing around you. You can be sure that it will mutually encourage you and those around you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment